The second edition of Rails, Angular, Postgres, Bootstrap is in beta.
There’s a lot of new content, mostly around Angular 2.
Of particular interest is that we aren’t using the Asset Pipeline, but are using Webpack. I tried hard to get Angular 2 working with Sprockets, but as Giles
Bowkett points out in a recent post, Sprockets is not a modern tool for modern
The current beta is about 75% complete and includes:
- End-to-end unit testing with PhantomJS
- Making your end-to-end tests work with Webpack
- Angular 2
- Setting up Webpack to serve CSS and JS
- Intro to Angular 2, including routing and unit testing.
- Using and testing Postgres check constraints
- Content-specific indexed (e.g. index on a lower-cased version of a field)
- Materialized Views
- Simple styling with Bootstrap
- Grid-based design with Bootstrap
Angular 2’s setup was painful, but it’s a much nicer framework than Angular 1, and requires a lot less plumbing and decision-making than React (based on my
limited experience with React).
The skills you learn in this book will let you solve a wide variety of problems quickly, cleanly, and efficiently, using modern and powerful tools.
Buy the beta now!
Note: if you bought the first edition, stay tuned—I’m not sure what accomodations will be made