I’m a programmer, musician, and author of “Rails, Angular, Postgres, and Bootstrap”, “The Senior Software Engineer”, and “Build Awesome Command-Line Applications in Ruby 2”. I speak frequently at national and regional conferences and spend my days currently as a Director of Engineering at Stitch Fix. I’ve written applications in C, Java, Ruby, Scala, and many others, on large and small teams. As a developer, I believe in clean code, making it right, providing a great user experience and using the right tool for the job. As a bass player, I believe in using a pick, locking it down, and ripping off Peter Hook. As an author, I insist on the Oxford Comma, try to avoid semi-colons, and have removed “very” and “thing” from my dictionary.
- Agile Web Development with Rails 5.1 - The book on learning Ruby on Rails. I’m co-author of the latest version that covers Rails 5.1.
- Rails, Angular, Postgres, and Bootstrap: Powerful, Effective, and Efficient Full-Stack Web Development - Book on Full Stack web development to level up your Rails skills, published July 2015, updated March 2017
- The Senior Software Engineer - Book on being an amazing developer, published July 2013
- Build Awesome Command-Line Applications in Ruby - Programming book, published in late 2011 by the Pragmatic Programmers.
- Why I’d Never Work for Google, Twitter, or Facebook - most popular of my blog posts on Hacker News.
- Source Code Typography - popular post on typesetting computer source code.
- What Makes an Awesome Command-line Application - Article for PragPub, Pragmatic Programmer’s monthly online magazine.
- My Blog - My Blog - mostly programming stuff.
- GLI - a DSL for making more complex command line apps in Ruby
- Adventure - My “cover” of classic 2600 game Adventure
- Methadone - a simple way to make command line apps in Ruby
- Ruby Style Guide - My personal Ruby style guide + tools to make your own